Monday, January 21, 2008

What would you do?

"Crank the wheel to the right!", the auto center salesman said as he inspected my car's tires. "Yep, I'm sorry but... we can't fix the flat. The nail in your tire is too close to the side wall and it probley won't hold air very well. You'll have to buy new tires...all 4."
I was floored. Shocked. Mad. Speachless. Less the 2 years ago I bought these premium 65k mile tires and the warranty and now here I was 23 months and 19k miles later sorry out of luck. According to the salesman, the wear on the tire's shoulder was excessive and because of that they would not fix the flat nor replace my tire. I drove away.
I was in the parking lot when I grabbed my phone and called a mechanic buddy of mine in Salt Lake. "I've never seen that model of tire go the full tread life, it's a defect and a known issue. You need to ask for a partial credit toward a new tire or go see the store manager.", he said. So, with info in hand and determination I went back to get my new tires.
24 hours and some very compelling arguments later the issue was settled. I believed that the warranty contract, the comments of my mechanic friend and the wear patterns of the tire proved an open and shut case for my side. However, the whole experience was stressful and expensive for both parties.
So, if you found yourself in this same situation what would you have done?

2 comments:

Ben said...

I would call my brother.

Beck Bunch said...

I always go to the top. Ask for a manger and then after talking with her or him go from there.
Sometimes they try to work a woman. I hate that. As in this time they found it was the wrong woman. I say pray and move forward. The Lord will always put the right words in your mouth and help you with anything. Go Girl