Friday, June 20, 2008

Tribute to Mom Y


I was strolling down memory lane tonight so I had to jot it down. So, here it goes: One evening while I was weeding just above the back yard brick wall Mom came out of the house and asked with a slight smile on her face, "Do you want to go and get a new pair of shoes?". A sort of odd question but the real thought on my mind was she probley wants to get me some wierd sale shoe from Payless or something. I was in the 6th grade and fashion was becoming more and more important to being "in" or socially accepted. In either case, I was nervious about what shoes she might have in mind. I must have seemed hesitant because Mom clarified what she had in mind by dropping the words "Nike Air". Now she had my attention. At that point in my short life I had dreamed for a Nike Air shoe. All of my friends had Jordans ($120) or some other cool Air shoe. Mom went on to say that she saw an ad and to come and see it (Hence the Big 5 ad). I saw the ad and I was jumping up and down inside-they were perfect. They were mid-tops, white and gray, swooshes on the side and "AIR" in large letter on the back of the shoe. I remember going to school the next day to find another kid just got another pair of new Jordans ($150), but it didnt matter. My Mom somehow knew that a $39.99 pair of shoes would last me more than a few months, the memory of how My Mom loved me would last 15 years. Thanks Mom-Love Ya!

No comments: