Friday, February 27, 2009

a late night treat

Tonight Matt and I got to go with my sister Jenni as she went through the temple for the first time. It was really great to have her there with the rest of us, I am so excited for her and her soon to be hubby Braeden. I can't wait for him to officially be a part of the family! Well going to the temple is always a GREAT date, but when you have a brand new baby it doesn't leave anytime to have a treat on the way home before you have to get back and feed the baby again. So tonight I was craving a hot fudge sundae and I knew if I didn't have one before bed I would crave it for breakfast in the morning. So I found a recipe for hot fudge sauce and caramel sauce (this craving came later) and got to work. I don't have any pictures, cause both sauces are best served warm... thus fast melting ice cream, but I did want to post the recipes, cause they turned out great!

Hot Fudge Sauce
2 cups sugar
5 T. flour
5 T. cocoa
1 12oz can evaporated milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 t vanilla

Combine sugar, flour and cocoa in medium saucepan. Stir in evaporated milk and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 min, stirring constantly to desired thickness. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Serve warm over ice cream or cake.
Yield 16 servings
(this sauce thickened when standing. Add additional milk or cream to thin when reheating)

Caramel
1/2 Cup margarine or butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup

Combine margarine, brown sugar and light corn syrup in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir well. Boil until sugar dissolves. (don't boil longer than needed, it will harden too much on ice cream if you do)


We put pecans in with the two sauces for our own version of a "Pecan Mud slide" Matt said it was the best ice cream he had had in a long time, which means a lot, cause if you know us... you know we LOVE dessert!
Have fun... we did, it was a great end to a great night! (now I have to drag my husband who is snoring on the floor to bed... that can be a task somtimes :) )

1 comment:

Sabby said...

Sounds so yummy! I think the wedding is this next weekend, yeah!